Present Progressive / Continuous

Present Progressive / Continuous
The present progressive tense takes the form be + V ing.
The form of “be” is determined by the subject of the sentence :
- He is singing.
- She is listening.
- They are sleeping.
- I am going home.
In English, the present progressive is used to indicate actions happening at the time of speaking, or right now :
- Jake is speaking to his mother right now.
- Please keep quiet. The baby is sleeping.
The present progressive can also be used to indicate actions occurring over a period of time which includes the present :
- I’m taking five classes at the university.
- Grace is working at a chemical factory.
- What are you doing these days?
The present progressive is sometimes used to indicate ongoing, developing, imminent or future actions :
Ongoing
Don’t bother Mr. Grumpy while he is watching the football game.
Developing
I’m beginning to like this place!
Imminent
A: Honey, where are you?
B: I’m coming. Just let me put on my shoes.
Future (Note the presence of future time words.)
A: Are you going to the concert this weekend?
B: I wish I could, but I’m meeting an important client from Oklahoma.
Some non-action verbs do not occur in the present progressive tense. The simple present is sufficient.

No comments:

Post a Comment